View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Team Speed New Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Speed is important. No speed eliminates players, but speed doesn't make the player.
I'm not sure if you're saying there's no speed limit that should eliminate players or if they have no speed, they'll be eliminated. Either way is dangerous thinking, IMO. Here's a quote from Bill Polian:

Quote:
“No. 1, the 40 times. If you are a believer in speed — and I am, and was — the 40 times are very important,” Polian said.

Polian said that while he wouldn’t get too obsessed with separating players by the hundredths of a second, there are certain 40 times that a player simply has to meet if he wants to be considered a high-level draft prospect at his position.

“There are benchmarks,” Polian said. “A guy doesn’t need to run a 4.42 as opposed to someone who runs a 4.43, but they have to get under the barrier that a club sets for each position. So a receiver who’s more than 4.5? His stock’s going to fall, and there’s no two ways about it.”
Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40-yd dash at the combine. Where do you think Hopkins, who was as productive a college WR there was, would fall if he ran a 4.71? Oh, and Rice went to a small school, so that's another knock on him by today's draft standards.

I'm not comparing Hopkins to Rice (duh), but demonstrating how ridiculous it is to weight the official 40 times that much. It's just one small piece of a player profile. Guys like Polian (plenty more in the NFL) lend that piece too much weight.