View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowboys’ Jones boys deflate their own football people with draft ‘philosophy

I don't really have too much of a problem with the pick, itself. Kinda.

My thing is that if you've got a guy you want/need AND you're pretty sure he won't be there at your next pick, then take him.

So if Travis Frederick is your guy, you take him. If you think you can trade back, pick up some more picks, and still get him, then you do that.

I've got no problem with that part.

But part of the draft process has to be identifying the needs and desires of the other teams in the league. You've got to know what types of players the other teams are going to be drafting. It looked like Jones was afraid some other team was going to snatch Frederick away from them because there'd been a run on offensive linemen. And that was a mistake, I think.

And then there's the whole "someone-dropped-to-me-that-I-didn't-expect" thing. I think Floyd was the perfect guy for their new defense. But I don't think they expected him to fall and they never really thought about what they'd do if he did. So they got too short-sighted and focused on "their guy" and couldn't react properly when this twist happened.

In a way, it's like the Okoye draft. But where the Texans got surprised by Okoye and drafted him, the Cowboys got surprised by Floyd and didn't draft him. We'll have to wait and see if that was a mistake.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote