View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowboys’ Jones boys deflate their own football people with draft ‘philosophy

As a Cowboy fan I give this draft a C. I went in thinking O-line, D-line and safety. When Floyd dropped to 18, I was like, "there you go" but Jerry got caught with his pants down and got a weak 3rd to move down 13 spots and then watched more O-linemen go off the board. So they reached for Frederick. Not a bad player but a 2nd-4th rounder in most eyes. The rest of the draft was actually pretty talent rich though. The issue is did they need these guys. They get a TE who can catch and is considered a top talent so they can run NE type sets with Witten but TE was far down the list of needs and they passed the Safety the Texans took. They then go WR and Safety. WR is again talented BUT he is raw and they have WRs. The safety is athletic and a good player2 years down the road but only played safety one year. The rest of their guys were also considered strong players but not where we needed...an aging D-line in a new system and no more O-linemen. Overall, talented but reaches and guys who might need work. Not sure how that translates at .500.

I can also say that I'm a little embarrassed at the fan base at times. I go to CowboyZone above while there are plenty of realists there are many who to still kneel at the alter of Jerry and anything Romo and the team does. The rallying cry is to be positive but they aren't objective. During the draft, people were talking how Frederick was this perfect pick and was always rated a high second rounder. When myself and some others pointed out otherwise we were told Mayock and other scouts hated the Cowboys and were never right. When Mayock gave the Cowboys a positive draft score, he turned into an expert. I just shake my head at the excuses.