Thread: NT Concern...
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013   #33
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NT Concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
We will sign another NT and ILB before training camp. I'm not worried. The FO is not done shaping this roster.
I'm not so sure about this. Maybe they sign the ILB but I don't think he will be anymore than a Brady James type who will come in and provide a little depth. The big worry should be the injury bug. If Cush goes down again we probably are back to the early exit in the Playoffs at best. If Sharpton can't stay healthy, and I don't see any proof that he will, we could get by with Dobbins or Reed in there.

As for the NT situation, right now they have Mitchell, Terrell McClain, David Hunter, and now Chris Jones. All of them are in the 300 lb range. Wade has had a number of chances to draft a bigger "run stuffing" NT and he's passed on all of them. So, I think the reality of the situation is, at least for this defense, that Wade prefers the lighter, quicker, penetrating NT with a "high motor" over the bigger "run stuffing" NT. I don't see this changing in the near future. My guess is, this season, that Mitchell will start and McClain will rotate with him until either Hunter or Jones are ready. Hunter could end up on the PS if he needs more seasoning and Jones may end up there also for awhile. I know they like Hunter and Jones a lot. Not sure what they think of McClain long term. He may be just a stop gap.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote