View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans UDFA Signings

The three guys from Ohio State also have possibilities.

I watched their first two games, and both DBs already made some nice plays.
Both are tall guys for their respective positions.

The CBs #7 Travis Howard had 3 interceptions playing in a combo man-zone scheme.
The Buckeyes had different game plan for each.
The first one against Zac Dysert, they played mostly zone, keeping things in front.
Howard did misplay a pass, being too aggressive.
He was supposed to drop back into a 5-3 deep zone, but instead, he tried to jump a side line route, this giving up a corner route to the inside receiver.
Other than that, he played very well.
He broke up a couple of passes and intercepted three balls, showing good reaction and awareness.

From what I read, he doesn't have much of a back pedal, but I can't tell from these two games since the defensive scheme didn't call for it, and the viewing angle is limited.

I was thinking Wade may draft a tall CB who may not have the ability to mirror receiver but can match up with the tall ones, or at least bring one in as an UDFA.
I was thinking about the UCLA guy as an UDFA, but Howard also looks like a decent prospect. He was regarded as a highly recruited CB, so we'll see what Vance Joseph can do with him.

Anothe position where I wanted the Texans to draft late or bring in as UDFA is a tall hybrid safety to play in Quin's spot against the TE. I was hoping for Dexter McCoil out of Tulsa, but Orhian Johnson doesn't look too bad as a prospect either. He also broke up a pass or two, deflected one that Howard picked off, and intercepted one himself. Also, he played the run quite decently.

Again, the schem didn't allow us to see whethe he can run with TEs or not, so I'll just wait to see if it ever happened in later games.
(I like to watch these games in chronological order to see their progress.)

However, I read that both of them played through some minor injuries the whole season.

Howard actually went down 3 times in the second game.
It looks like a shoulder contusion when he went down the first time, making a tackle on a run play. After making plays on two other occasions, he stayed down for a while; I believe it was due to the same injury.

Johnson didn't play much in the first game for some reason.
In the second game, he mostly played the nickel position where Quin often did.

Zac Boren played FB and HB (Casey-like) and looked pretty good in his blocking assignments, taking on DEs and LBs with authority.
He was moved to LB when injury depleted their corp in mid season.
I think he was originally drafted as a LB.
He might be too small for the next level though, unless he can bulk up some without losing too much agility and speed.
His best bet is to try to make the PS, I think.

No grade for any player yet, as I'd like to study them a whole lot more.
This is only first impressions.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote