Originally Posted by badboy
About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.
1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.
2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.
3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales
4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.
5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.
2013 draft over and our picks do effect my thoughts. We did get my guy Brennan Williams so that moves OT off my '14 mock. Also David Quissenberry could eventually resolve OG for me. He blocked for my QB David Fales who had monster 2012 and he did so at the LT so with a year in Texans strength program, should replace Cody White.
1. NT Louis Nix Notre Dame
2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky may go later but not taking chance after not drafting one in 2013.
3 QB Fales San Jose St but if another year like 2012, may have to move him up.
I will continue to evaluate WRs because I'm not convinced Jean, Martin or Bonner will be 2014 and we may still need a replacement for AJ eventually. If Posey or Hopkins can prove to be WR 1 material during this season, I'd still probably select WR later rounds to go with these three.
OLB/DE will also be on my radar. Trevardo could be a hit (pun intended) but not 100% sold on Montgomery or Mercilus for that matter. Brooks Reed needs to have a real good year at either OLB or ILB or I cut him after '13.
CB we need to have someone step up this season either Harris or Carmichael so I will evaluate this position also.
Your thoughts or suggestions?