View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think you're right but you're wrong. I think Montgomery replaces Barwin.
Nah. I think Herring is throwing us a red herring.

He says they're going to put Montgomery at OLB and see what happens, but I think he belongs as a bookend to JJ Watt. Antonio Smith disappeared in December, he was part of the problem with the death spiral we had across the board. A lot of fans will argue it, because of his popularity and persona, but he has to play a bigger GAME CHANGING ROLE than he has. He's getting tackles, he's getting pressures, but every year that ticks off is a year closer to his retirement. That's why Montgomery makes sense.

So, sure, Montgomery starts out at OLB...but he will be the successor to the Antonio Smith throne. I don't know what savings we could get from cutting Smith now, or cutting him next season, but if that frees up cap space...the Texans have no problem moving onward from Antonio Smith, and Montgomery--to me, from what I see--is a DL guy, not an OLB. Yes, we've used a bigger guy (Barwin) as an OLB, but I think Antonio's age, cap situation, and lack of consistency has urged the Texans to draft his successor. They cut Eric Winston, they can cut Antonio Smith too if they want to.

To not make waves with a veteran like Antonio Smith, who runs his mouth like crazy, you will say things such as "Montgomery will be an OLB," when you know full well that those plans are just that: Plans.

The more a coach talks about how he's going to use the new rookie, the more I tend to slough it off as coach speak. Wade said he was going to get Mercilus on the field in unique ways, and I don't think they did it to the extent they should have. Hopefully the lackluster 2012 performance will spur Wade and Herring And Joseph to let Montgomery and Swearinger see the field as much as possible. If they get hurt, they get hurt...you draft more next year. If they don't pan out, you want to know NOW...so that you can draft it again the next year.

I like the picks of Hopkins and Montgomery and Swearinger, but I am iffy on whether this team can utilize them like top draft picks should be utilized. Look, you drafted them in the highest tier of the draft, so USE THEM! Please.