View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013   #26
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Casserly says Texans potential target for 2nd rd QBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It'd be more accurate (but not totally accurate) to say, "Alex Smith should do better than any of the QB's listed, or they should be looking ahead to the 2014 draft for a QB."

But, yes, I am essentially saying I would rather take my chances with Alex Smith in 2013 and whatever the future holds than with Geno Smith/Matt Barkley/etc. in 2013, 2014, 2015, etc.
Well, I really don't think highly of Alex Smith at all, and I think the Chiefs just got Matt Cassel'd again. The change in the 49ers offense from Alex Smith to Kaepernick was minimal, their points scored, yards and RZ efficiency was very similar. So changing to an unproven 2nd year player shows little change in the system, yet the 29 year old vet was surprised he lost his starting job.

I think we saw the best that Alex Smith can do in ideal circumstances, an excellent coach, a great team around him on both sides of the ball, arguably the best offensive line in the NFL, and a solid running game. It's the same kind of thing that happened with Cassel in NE, he got to start in a great system with a top notch team around him, inflated his value, and was shipped off to KC for a 2nd round pick. It will be deja vu all over again for the Chiefs, whereas they could have been sitting here knowing they will have one of these 3 QBs for the next 4 years for less total money guaranteed to Smith in one year. I don't know that any of those QBs will be better than Smith beyond 2013, but I will say they have more potential to be good, and that's why I think they chose poorly here.