View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is there a problem with Yates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
In following the draft, I see a lot of people suggesting we take a QB (Geno Smith particularly, though I see some others mentioned for round 2-3). I'm wondering if there is some problem with TJ Yates that I missed?

I know there are people unhappy with Schaub, but are people also unhappy with Yates? Or, was there an injury or something that I missed? Two seasons ago, I thought Yates looked good, and I thought most people were pretty happy with him. Did I miss something last year that has made people think he has regressed or did he get hurt or something?

Anyone new we draft is going to be sitting behind Schaub (and I would have thought Yates) for a year or two in any case. And, it's not as though we have an opportunity to draft Andrew Luck or something this year. Anyone we draft is going to be sitting for a while first, with the hope that he'll eventually be able to be a starting-quaity QB. It seems to me that we already have that in Yates (unless I missed something), and given that we have areas where we need players, I don't get why we would spend a high-round pick on some "project" QB.

I haven't followed the draft as closely this year, so maybe the QB prospects are better than I realize, but it seems odd for us to use one of our higher remainnig draft picks on a position where I thought we were already OK, and we have little chance of a short-term improvement from the pick.
I'll give you my thoughts:

I'm Texans fan. Right now I am a Schaub fan because I think you can win with him right now but I don't think he has 3 or 4 more years left. I want to draft his replacement and I think that with Geno you can do that and let him marinate in the offence a little before you roll him out. That is not a knock on Yates either. You can either Favre Geno or you can Rodgers him, it doesn't matter to me but I think there is a lot of value in Geno at the beginning of the second round. Of course I don't think we'll have a shot at him given the bedazzled cats are probably going to draft him with the first pick tonight.

As it stands this team's window is 2 years. Hopefully D'andre can come in and replace AJ as the number 1 in time. If that happens then we really just need to replace Schaub and keep trucking.

This team is set up to be a Pittsburgh kind of team at this point. We are so young at most positions and have decent depth, I want to see this window stay open for a decade and we have that opportunity if we start thinking forward just a little bit. If you don't get Schaub's replacement on the roster soon then you're gonna shut that window before too long. That is not to say that Yates isn't the next guy, it is to say that we don't know that for sure and having two potential sucessors is better than having one.

I'm not down on Yates or Schaub I'm just up on having multiple options.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote