View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm going with Kevin Minter. I think we go LB in the 1st, WR 2nd, OT/OG, NT in the 3rd, S in 4th, and whatever after that.
In this pass happy league , I cant see a #1 pick being spent on an ILB who will only play ~40% of the snaps , especially when there are several ILB's who will be there in the 3rd / 4th rounds who are very close talent wise to Minter.

For me that #1 pick comes down to a few positions - DE , OLB , WR and DT. Notice that three of those positions are "get after the QB types".

Here's a quote from another thread from srrono , he makes a solid case for a "get after the QB player"

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
The more I look at Texans DLine it screams help.

Reasons
DE/NT
A.Smith final year in contract.

T.Jamison returning from right Achilles tear on Oct.14 2012.

David Hunter returning from injuring his toe during practice that required surgery.

Ra'shon Harris is in final yr of contract and returning from tearing his right triceps.

Earl Mitchell final year contract.

S.Cody is a FA and with back injury.(gone)

Terrell McClain final year contract.

Only depth that is healthly and not in final year of contract is J.Crick.

Lots of questions on players returning from major injuires.

After 2013 only Watt & Crick & Hunter under contract.

If I missed something let me know.

First 3 pick in any order IMO are WR-NT/DE-LB

The player they chose will be able to play both NT and DE.
Short could play either spot in a 3-4 scheme IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Well, of course it would depend on the deal and our trading partner. If we traded with the Cards or Bills and got their first next year and a 2nd and 5th this year I'd be good with that.

Two 1st's next year and two additional picks this year is some pretty decent horse trading IMHO. Especially since - using the teams I named - we wouldn't really drop down very far.

And even the draftniks around here have kinda been all over the map for that first pick. From what I've seen on this board, there's no concensus on who we just HAVE to have with that #27 pick. Yeah, "conventional wisdom" kinda agrees we need a WR at #27, but is there that much of a drop off if we take that WR at 38 (Cards) or at 41 (Bills)?
I think WR is the deepest position in the draft , at least thru the first three rounds. There is little seperation between Austin who is likely the first or second WR off the board to Dobson who should go sometime in the mid to late 3rd round.

I think the safest pick is Hopkins .... but they could take a DT , OT or DE there and gamble on a WR in the second.

I wouldnt want to see them trade for a future first but rather a high 2 and another pick (3-4). That would leave them with 2x 2nds 3x 3rds (one comp) and 2x 4ths.
Ideally I'd like to see a trade out of round one for a second++ and a trade back into the second giving them three selections there taking a combination of DT (DE/OLB) , WR , OT with those three picks (in no specific order).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote