View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013   #72
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre is asking for a #2 WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
this is my last post because frankly im not finding this all that stimulating but for education purposes:

-I know cap numbers. IF you were as knowledgeable as you're letting on you'd know 10.5m means hes cuttable/tradeable if we find somebody better esp considering we'd save at least 4m on his cap hit (more if a june 1st designation) & his replacement is likely to have a relatively tiny rookie contract. compare that to other recent contracts like flacco (who schaubs level of play was comparable to before his injury and subsequent swoon). if flacco suffers a fall in performance and ravens have to cut/trade him 2 yrs into his new contract, the cap hit would be nearly double that

-even accepting the teams you've listed as having done as good/better a job over the last few yrs as the Texans (and I don't. in fact I think its downright laughable to compare the steelers, ravens and colts to what the Texans have done. seriously go back and compare) its arguable that they're somewhere in the top 5-7 teams in the lg. the only reason those teams are in better cap shape is that they've found the holy grail in nfl terms- a high performing qb on a rookie contract (sea, sf, colts & even the bengals) or they've had to recently purge themselves of their rosters and start over (colts, ravens). plus Atlanta & GB are in a similar situation as the Texans & are going to be giving out massive qb contracts shortly

-why a random number like three yrs? esp considering it takes a few yrs for players to establish their true level of play. but anyway just to satisfy your nonsensical criteria: how about Justin james watt- big guy, 6'5, nfl dpoty, blond hair, arguably single greatest season by a d-lineman ever, from wisconson. they took him the only time they came close to having a top 10 pick (you know.... where a team is most likely to find an impact player).

ive a better question though look at the picks the Texans have made, since rick smith was a dumbass and didn't take impact players like Andrew luck, cam newton etc go back and look at their picks and try to find better picks they should've made. its pretty hard... there's usually busts and underachievers littered above and below the Texans pick yet the Texans always seem to end up with a good/great player (2007 obviously was the exception). that tells me that they must be doing something right

I think you'll find I did address that fact- they found kevin walter who was basically an untried unknown when he got here and who was an adequate #2 wr for a good portion of his time here They had lukewarm patches of success from jacoby. I think you'll also find I addressed the 'perfect team' complex some fans like yourself have and noted that many team have spent much draft resources on positions and are still looking for answers at the positions eg belichick- cb's & wrs

Schaub = wasted $$$$ on damaged goods and they should've waited kinda like the Ravens did with Flacco.

Isn't Flacco on the books for alot of $$$$ but they still have plenty of cap room. The Seahawks signed Flynn to a nice sized contract and the 49ers had the huge #1 Alex Smith contract. I believe that Rodgers sign a fairly big contract and in will be getting a another huge contract soon. They also saved the $$$$ to reup Clay Matthews.

Watt is a HOF player no doubt, name another impact player at any position other than Cushing in any of Ricks drafts? Brown was Gibbs handpicked guy. With that said I look for GM's that can draft true impact players outside of the 1st rd and hit on their 1st rd draft picks more than every 2 or 3 yrs. Maybe I expect too much or maybe your expectations are too low. Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I dont feel like going back and doing mental gymastics, but the names Willis/Revis/Matthews (Who I wanted over Cushing) McCourty etc..... I would've picked Stephen Hill (I went back and forth on hill before last yrs draft.) over Mercilus for example and drafted a pass rusher like Vinny Curry in rd 2. They gambled on trading down and taking Posey and came up snake eyes. I really dont blame Rick for this but Posey has/had nowhere near the upside that Hill has. See I can admit that I'm not perfect.

Even though Walter is/was Gary's boy that still doesn't make him an acceptable WR2. IMHO and it also must be the opinion of BoB/AJ.

Lets just say we've got different visions of what the Texans should/could be and move on. Sorry if I'm a win at all costs guy. That's why they keep score. IMHO

I also dont think Rick/Gary/Wade have done a terrible job. Especially since Wade has helped Rick with the defensive picks. But they aren't in the upper echelon of FO's in the NFL. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote