View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013   #80
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 241209 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
What about Jabar Gaffney? I realize he wasn't a bust, but... he never did anything for the Texans when he played.
In four years with the Texans, Gaffney had 171 catches for 2009 yards, for an avg of 11.75 yards. One of those years was the dreadful 2005 season, his last as a Texan. In 2004, he caught 41 balls for 642 yards. AJ caught 79 for 1142. That's not a half bad tandem, considering who they had at QB. Gaffney could have been a decent #2, IMO. He shouldn't have been drafted in the 2nd round, but if you look at what Gaffney has gone on to do, he's kind of a prototypical second fiddle guy. Two years ago, he had 68 catches for 947 yards. Three years ago, he had 65 for 875. He had 21 catches in the playoffs alone for NE one year.

If you take Gaffney's best five years and Walter's best five years, you pretty much have the same WR. People around here say that Walter was a good #2 for a couple years and then just fell off. Well, consider this:

Walter's best 5 years - 270 rec, 3449 yards, 12.8 avg, 21 TD, 175 first downs. Schaub all 5 years, with some Rosenfels and Yates. He only had one more year worth noting.

Gaffney's best 5 years - 264 rec, 3635 yds, 13.8 avg, 16 TD, 183 first downs. Gaffney had two to three other seasons that were roughly comparable with his 5th best season, by my estimation. In 11 years, he has two seasons with less than 34 catches. His QBs for the five years I counted were Carr x1, Brady x1, and Orton x3, injuries and subs notwithstanding. I'm sure there were some Tony Banks games and Matt Cassel games.

The only significant difference I see is C&C spent a 2nd round pick on Gaffney and Smithiak spent a 6th rounder (IIRC) on Walter in a trade. Guys can't help what teams spend on them, so I tend not to hold that against the players that much.