View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Head'em Up Houston Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
First, I never wrote " NT isn't required to penetrate".
Quote:
In Wade's defensive scheme, the NT is not expected to rush the QB. Also, with all the pieces in place, Wade will stay in his base defense for most of the game, playing much less nickle and dime packages.

Quote:
I just re-read the analysis, twice, and fail to see any mention of your statement.
I cut and pasted it straight from the article you supplied the link to. Here is the entire paragraph.

Wade Phillips' 5-2 also varies from a lot of other linebacker-heavy defenses in that his defensive line plays a "one gap" style rather than a "two gap" style. In a two gap style, defensive linemen will line up directly over their blockers (usually both tackles and the center) and play the gaps on both sides of their blocker, thus covering two gaps. With the line theoretically being big and strong enough to handle two gaps with single blocking, this allows them to play the run at the line of scrimmage while the linebackers fly all over the place and make plays in the backfield. In a "one gap" system, the defensive line shifts into the gaps themselves and tries to penetrate into the backfield on every single snap. Rather than being the decoys, the defensive ends and nose tackle in the Texans' defense are more often than not the main tools of destruction.