View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013   #15
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Analysis of Wade's 34 Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
In a "one gap" system, the defensive line shifts into the gaps themselves and tries to penetrate into the backfield on every single snap. Rather than being the decoys, the defensive ends and nose tackle in the Texans' defense are more often than not the main tools of destruction.

I am totally confused as to how you got "in Wade's defense, the NT isn't required to penetrate".
First, I never wrote " NT isn't required to penetrate". His responsibility is to penetrate the A-gap. Each of the front 5 has responsibility for a gap. But it is expected that he'll draw the double team in which case his responsibility is to stack the A-gap and not be moved out of position. If he draws the single block, Wade needs a player to collapse the pocket, but he is not to freelance. His responsibility is the A-gap and only the A-gap, unless there is a stunt or other play called. If he is to rush the passer, it should be through the blocker. He is not free to abandon the A-gap or go around the block. Often you'll see a defensive player use a move to disengage from the block and in the process goes around the block to one side or the other. I guess what it boils down to is a strong bull rush is what is required of a NT in Wade's defense.

I just re-read the analysis, twice, and fail to see any mention of your statement. Other than a generic "(the NT) penetrates the A-gap", mentioned several times, the only other statement I find on the play of the NT is: "(the NT) is plugging the A-gap and ideally drawing the guard on a double team to stop the interior pressure."
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote