View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You yourself stated they would be good value in the 5th to 7th round. If there is a chance a guy will be around in the seventh round there is a chance he won't get drafted. How can a guy that could be around in the 7th round bring better value than a guy who is rated by nearly every expert a sure fire first round pick and the best at his position in the entire draft?

anxiously awaiting reply.
I was thinking you might misunderstand what I was trying to say, and it looks like you did.

There are two ways to look at this.

1. The value of a pick depends on the round he's selected.
You see a lot of boards rated them between 5th to 7th (and possibly UDFA), but you might not see that both were valued as high as the second round.
For mock draft purpose, let's say I'm able to pick them late in the sixth or somewhere in the seventh ('cause people in the Mock Draft are doubtful about them for some reasons), but they get selected in the 4th or 5th round in the real draft. It means that I get more value for the picks than you guys thought.

2. Another way to look at it is comparable "added value" for the position in a late round vs selecting Eifert at #27 in Kubiak's system, at least in the first year.
With two TEs already on board with receiving skills, Eifert isn't going to see that many targets to justify his first round status.
If you think Eifert will see more targets than Graham, I don't know what to tell you.

At the moment, the Texans need a good blocking TE; both Toilolo and Fauria are at least as capable as Eifert, if not better. On top of that, they are both great red zone weapons due to their size. They have already shown they are capable in that role. Eifert at #27 isn't tremendously better than them in these two tasks to justify the spot he's picked in.

Instead, the Texans can use that #1 pick on another position of need, providing the team with other value to make it better, be it a receiver or a pass rusher, whatever.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote