View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013   #64
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Worst and or Most Hated Draft Picks:
1.) Bennie Joppru (Dissapointing to say the least)
2.) David Carr (Gave new meaning to the fetal position)
3.) Travis Johnson (Probably the reason the Texans want high class individuals ever after)
4.) Jacoby Jones (Never became the threat he was drafted to be.)
5.) Tony Hollings (Lost a 2nd round pick because of this no-show.)
6.) Jason Babin
7.) Seth Wand
8.) Charles Hill
9.) Matt Stevens
10.) Antwaun Molden

Best and or Favorite Draft Picks:
1.) Andre Johnson (The BP in Texans franchise history. Period)
2.) J.J. Watt (Is more than a great football player, a great person for the city)
3.) Duane Brown (Turned all nonbelievers into believers)
4.) Mario Williams (A stud when he wants to be. Potentially unblockable.)
5.) Domanick Davis (Made the early Texans offense watchable)
6.) Aaron Glenn (Made the early Texans defense watchable)
7.) Brian Cushing (Insane on the field. 3 down linebacker who always works hard)
8.) Drew Henson (Turned his sorry 6th round ass into a 3rd, Thanks Cowgirls)
9.) Brice McCain (6th round pick becoming a damn good cover corner)
10.) DeMeco Ryans (Captain of our defense during some tough years)
I totally agree with your "Best/Most Favorite" list. Can't really argue with a single one of them. I might quibble with and remove Henson and put Kareem Jackson in his place. Reason?: K.J. is in the same category as Duane Brown as he went from prematurely declared bust (i.e., "bad pick") into a very solid player at his position.

Regarding your "worse" list I'd have to add Dave Ragone in there somewhere. I mean, we just picked Carr #1 overall the year before. We had an experienced backup in Tony Banks (I think he should have started for at least a year while Carr learned the ropes - but that's a different discussion). We're trying to make an expansion team more solid. Why the hell did we waste a third round pick on a guy who was never going to start?!? Dave Ragone, not David Carr is my all-time, number one, Worst Texans' draft pick. The pick itself made no sense and the guy never really saw the field. WTF??

At first I was thinking that Jacoby wasn't an awful a pick until you realize I realized that James Jones was picked by Green Bay about 5-6 picks later. This was another, "what were they thinking?" pick. Why take a chance on a track guy from a small school when there were other WRs out there with, arguably, better pedigrees. In addition to James Jones, Yamon Figurs and Jason Hill were just as fast (or faster) as Jacoby and were from Div I schools. The last thing a two-year old expansion team needed was to burn a first day pick on a long shot from a small school.

Not to rag on Jacoby because I wanted him to succeed as I want all Texans picks to succeed. But this is a look-back exercise, and looking back, this pick - given who else was available - was definitely questionable.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote