View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013   #78
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Grantland] Hey, Don't F*$% This Up: The Houston Texans' Outdated Offense

If your QB can't handle being tough situations, and overcoming them, then nothing else matters.

Being a fan of the Texans has been an eye-opening process for me. This team started at ground zero, so we've been able to see 10 years of "construction" with this team.

It's like making a water filter. The first few years here, it was like the first level of the filter: Huge chunks of rocks that filters out the smallish particles (bits of rock found in the water). The next few years was like the second level of the filter that strains out the even smaller particles out of the water. Then the third level is sand, removing tiny almost microscopic particles. Finally the last level is the charcoal the purifies the water.

All of this has served to show me that you can have a great coach, a great defensive coach, a great offense system and defense system, and your owner can be committed to spending in FA and taking a chance on maybe pushing the cap space too closely. But at the end of the day, in the NFL, the quarterback position is the most important position of all.

On that front, we're screwed. And it doesn't help that we have Stats Mania around here. Great, crunch the numbers...but at the end of the day, a really solidly performing QB (no matter what stats or overall team injury situation, good or bad, he finds himself in at the moment) he's got to produce in the playoffs.

We've enjoyed lots of layers to this filtering process. But the last level, the charcoal, it's crucial to making sure the water is potable for consumption.

There is a part of me that would love to see the Texans take a risk and grab a guy like EJ Manuel in the first and make camp an open competition at QB. There needs to be old-fashioned competition for the QB spot, not just giving to a guy based on loyalty, stats, and making sure the status quo "locker room" stays the same. We need a guy who can move around and extend plays with his feet. Schaub has plateau'd and I really thought we were all smart enough 10 years into this thing to see it, acknowledge it, and move on from it. But apparently not.

Instead, we just need give it the old college try again. We're "learning to win, in time," as the article headline pointed out. LOL.