View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WR remains likely top pick for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I know its not the old NFL anymore. Not even close. I've been watching and going to games since the sixties. It is still too much of a risk to count on a first round wr draft pick to come in and start from day 1. Yes it happens more frequently at every position in the NFL nowadays because of free agency and the salary cap. But it is still one of the hardest positions to evaluate and hit the jackpot on. I will say that the 2011 wr first round was awesome for wrs but thats not the norm.
Over the last five years, there has been eleven receivers that were drafted lower than #27 and had better production than Kevin Walter (last year) in their rookie years (there might be more since I didn't really put pen to the paper.)

And then there were many many that had close to that production; some of them were due to the fact that they were the #2B or #3 receiver on their team.

If we have to fast-track one of those guys, he would have more targets and therefore more catches.

All we need to do is to make sure we find a guy who is already adept at running the whole route trees at a decent pace.

Posey, for example, if he had played more his last year in college, would have been more prepared ( and would have been drafted higher, but still after #27.)

There are several of those guys this year (and next year) like Dobson, Patton, Hopkins, Woods, etc.

They may never become a number #1 receiver, but their "chances" as a #2 receiver are almost assured.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote