View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013   #65
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Grantland] Hey, Don't F*$% This Up: The Houston Texans' Outdated Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No. It doesn't.

Using the ZBS isn't imitating the Texans UNLESS you look at and study the way the Texans do it as your example and use the Texans' approach as your template.

The Colts under Manning ran a lot of zone concept runs but they weren't imitating the Texans' way of doing it. The Ravens had plays with zone concepts but before Leach taught them our way of doing it, they weren't imitating us.

We don't own the ZBS and we don't own the West Coast Offense but we run a particular and specific variation of each. If a team studies us and then MODELS their offensive approach off of ours, then that's imitation.

You didn't say that but someone else in the thread did.

There's a difference between picking up some pointers and modeling parts of your approach on something.

Does our offense need to perform better? Yes, it does.

But the question is: what's broken? Is it the OFFENSE -- which to me is the playbook and its underlying scheme and concept? Is it the playcalling? Or is it the execution of the plays?

For me, the offense is fine. There's nothing wrong with our fundamental approach.

I also don't have any problem with the conservative approach to play-calling. I know that's what's rubbing most people the wrong way. Most people here want something more vertical and more showy.

My problem with the offense last year was the execution by the players. Newton/Caldwel/Jones on the right side hurt us. Especially down the stretch. Arian Foster seemed a lot easier to tackle last year than in previous years. Posey and Martin didn't develop as quickly as we would have liked. We missed Dreessen's blocking. We're still missing Leach's blocking. We need to fix all that.

One thing you've got to remember is that... we played a first place schedule last year and we went 12-4. We beat the two other first place teams because of that schedule (Broncos and Ravens. I didn't include the Pats because we played their entire division.)
I'd give the 1st place schedule more creedence if it factored more into our schedule..In truth, that aspect only accounts for 20% of our total schedule and only 2 of our losses came from that bracket of teams. Now there's a case to be made that we likely would've lost to Denver if we played them later in the season as opposed to the beginning when they were a completely different team but of course that didn't happen and we lucked up in that regard. It also has no bearing on our other 2 other losses which came from teams that truthfully shouldn't have been on the same field as us much less dominate our offense to the tune of no touchdowns in 6 or so quarters.......on our home field...............in consecutive games............going into the playoffs like they did.

& that to me signifies a problem...clearly an adjustment was made by our opponents...an adjustment that didn't seem to alarm Kubiak and he just kept on doing what we were doing at the beginning of the season..."we just need better execution"....Ok, Kubes but every team in the league can say the same thing every week since 99% of teams in the league don't execute 100% week in week out. You think you might want to start calling some "out of the box/ more aggressive" type of plays to take some pressure off your bread & butter plays? Maybe open it up a little more? Doesn't every coaching staff have someone on thier staff who monitors tendencies in playcalling so as to avoid these very things?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote