View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Grantland] Hey, Don't F*$% This Up: The Houston Texans' Outdated Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Your first line contradicts your last statement.
No. It doesn't.

Using the ZBS isn't imitating the Texans UNLESS you look at and study the way the Texans do it as your example and use the Texans' approach as your template.

The Colts under Manning ran a lot of zone concept runs but they weren't imitating the Texans' way of doing it. The Ravens had plays with zone concepts but before Leach taught them our way of doing it, they weren't imitating us.

We don't own the ZBS and we don't own the West Coast Offense but we run a particular and specific variation of each. If a team studies us and then MODELS their offensive approach off of ours, then that's imitation.

Quote:
I wasn't saying that you were stating they are imitating the total Texans offense because quite honestly that would be a bit silly. And I'm sure the Ravens did pick it up since they started messing with ZB in 2011.
You didn't say that but someone else in the thread did.

Quote:
Either way that wasn't my point. My point was what does someone imitating or taking points from our zone blocking system have to do with the issues we have on offense? In the NFL everyone takes something from everyone. This isn't something the Texans have exclusively. Our offense isn't horrible so of course other teams will take finer points and see how to install them into their own or find ways to adjust it to their benefit. Every single team does this. It's nothing new.

The point is the offense has issues that need to be addressed, adjusted or changed. We shouldn't have problems when we're down against a good team if we wish to be among the elites. We shouldn't look out of sync when things don't go perfectly to plan or the script. We shouldn't be handicapped on 3rd and 8+ yards. For the personnel on this team and having an offensive minded coach you would expect our 3rd down conversions to be 40%+. You would never suspect we'd go 6 quarters without scoring a touchdown against bottom half or medicore defenses, etc.

So someone imitating or taking points from the things we actually do well on offense does not erase the issues at hand. That is the point. Yay they imitated the one thing we do excellent in. Great. But now we earned 1st place schedules so will have to perform against these top tier teams consistently. Not showing up offensively one moment and completely becoming a field goal-a-thon the next won't cut it. Whether it is playcalling, personnel usage, or scheme, something needs to change to keep the team consistent which last year definitely was not the case especially after the bye.

It's as simple as if you want to go to the next level (which they do and fans should too) then you have to raise your level of play.
There's a difference between picking up some pointers and modeling parts of your approach on something.

Does our offense need to perform better? Yes, it does.

But the question is: what's broken? Is it the OFFENSE -- which to me is the playbook and its underlying scheme and concept? Is it the playcalling? Or is it the execution of the plays?

For me, the offense is fine. There's nothing wrong with our fundamental approach.

I also don't have any problem with the conservative approach to play-calling. I know that's what's rubbing most people the wrong way. Most people here want something more vertical and more showy.

My problem with the offense last year was the execution by the players. Newton/Caldwel/Jones on the right side hurt us. Especially down the stretch. Arian Foster seemed a lot easier to tackle last year than in previous years. Posey and Martin didn't develop as quickly as we would have liked. We missed Dreessen's blocking. We're still missing Leach's blocking. We need to fix all that.

One thing you've got to remember is that... we played a first place schedule last year and we went 12-4. We beat the two other first place teams because of that schedule (Broncos and Ravens. I didn't include the Pats because we played their entire division.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote