View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013   #31
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 24813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65 Final 2013 Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
...This year, however, I don't have a single target in mind for the spot.
I can go best OT available, best WR available, best ILB available, best NT available. That guy will need to have the most "differential making" points among several candidates (and there could be a few different candidates at a certain spot.)...
Which of these guys give the most pros and the fewest cons.
Which guy can make the most positive impact both short-term and long-term.

When you have that many guys (and the guys I mentioned aren't the only ones) I think it's best to go with the sure thing and not potential.
Good post.

Now this is very reminiscent of a conversation I had on this board last year. You go on to say, however, to trade out of the first round, which, in this case I don't agree with simply because of the glut of talent the Texans can mine early in the draft out of need. That's not to negate BPA, though. I'm just saying that when you've reached a certain plateau, as the Texans have, i.e. contenders, you only need 1 or 2 pieces to complete the puzzle.

Anyway, back to my original point (and yours, as well), I firmly believe, unless you're drafting a QB or a CB, you're looking for an automatic starter in the 1st round, and in many cases the 2nd round, too. You hope like hell for any of the other rounds. The Mercilus pick? I wasn't horribly bent over it, because I knew Barwin would be leaving as soon as the drafted him, but it went against the Texans MO (for the first time in a long time) to draft a backup in the 1st.

This theory about taking OL in the first round just leaves me scratching my head, because anyone outside of Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Jonathan Cooper, Lane Johnson and DJ Fluker, are all going to be developmental guys. These other dudes will be gone by pick #27.

I'm just saying you don't want to have to polish anybody from the 1st round when you're looking to make a title run. And you're going to want to take someone in the 1st round, precisely because you're making a title run.

Having said that, it better be a combo of BPA and need...because the Texans don't need much, but what they need is glaring: ILB, WR, OLB, DT (To a lesser extent DT, because although Cody/Mitchell aren't world beaters, they are serviceable until Cody gets the boot and we draft DT high next year [unless we strike it rich this year]).
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote