View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65 Final 2013 Mock

In respond to both, I think that even as we do mock draft, we still need to consider the different systems each team employ, and therefore their own preference of the type of player they might be looking for.

An example is Duane Brown whom I actually "targeted" for the Texans.
It might be hard to explain here, but at the same time, I said the Texans kinda reached for him a little bit in term of BPA (at any position). But hey, our turn is up, and I had "pretty much" aligned my board with the Texans and so I was happy to get the guy I wanted, whom I thought would turn out better than some OTs drafted ahead of him.

This year, however, I don't have a single target in mind for the spot.
I can go best OT available, best WR available, best ILB available, best NT available. That guy will need to have the most "differential making" points among several candidates (and there could be a few different candidates at a certain spot.) I have to weigh the pros and cons of an Armstead, a Rodgers, a Hunter, a Short, a Hankins, a certain Wiliams, etc.
Which of these guys give the most pros and the fewest cons.
Which guy can make the most positive impact both short-term and long-term.

When you have that many guys (and the guys I mentioned aren't the only ones) I think it's best to go with the sure thing and not potential.

For the same reason, I still think it's best to trade out of the first round anyway you can. I will even consider trading our first for several late picks (even if it takes a few trade downs to get there.) The flyers toward the last third of the draft have such potential I wished we have 3 sixth round comp picks like we once hoped for.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote