View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Grantland] Hey, Don't F*$% This Up: The Houston Texans' Outdated Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Once again, I stand by my statement that just because a team adopts the ZBS scheme in whole or in parts does not mean that that team is "imitating" the Texans & adopting their offensive playbook or offensive approach. Which in my opinion is "imitation". Merely studying a team to learn how to utilize a scheme is researching IMO. The Texans are hardly the inventors of the ZBS, so not all of whom adopt it are Texan imitators IMO.
If they study the Texans to learn how to do something and try to do it the way the Texans do it, then there's some imitation involved.

And the Bengals weren't studying our ZBS, they were studying our route combinations.

Oh, wait. No. I'm lying about that.

Quote:
Here's some food for thought:
Texans NFL Offensive Ranks (NFL.com)

2009- Passing #1 Rushing #30
2010- Passing #4 Rushing #7
2011- Passing #8 Rushing #2
2012- Passing #11 Rushing #8

Now maybe you don't see a difference in the offensive approach, but it's pretty clear that in 2009 that the Texans were very pass heavy & as the years have gone by, & the emergence of Arian, the transition has gone from pass heavy to balanced in 2010 & then favoring the run in 2011 & 2012. So there has obviously been a transition from pass to run & the rankings seem to reflect it. Granted the playbook may contain plays that have been there since 2009, but which ones are utilized more often seems to have changed & studying the Texans offense in 2009 vs 2012 gives me reason to believe that the play calling, pass vs rush, would yield different results between the 2 yrs. The offensive rankings seem to agree.

Needless to say, I agree that we can agree to disagree on most of these items.
Just because you choose to call more passing plays than rushing plays when the pass game is working better than the running game doesn't mean that it's a different offense.

Kubiak's goal in this offense has ALWAYS been to very balanced between rush and pass. In the past, he couldn't but with the emergence of his offensive line and his running backs, he's able to rely more on them the way he's always wanted to.

You're confusing the playcalling for the offense. Every week, the game plan changes. And with the change of the game plan, the play calling changes. Some weeks, you're going to call more long pass plays, some weeks, more screens and drop offs, and some weeks you're going to run more. But it's all the same offense.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote