View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013   #11
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Brooks Shaping Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
This could be a big problem. With Newton having surgery on his knee (I think it was the knee.) that only leaves Harris, Gardner, and Mondek on the roster to possibly be the starting RT while Newton heals. I think Harris was OK last season filling in for Newton, but I don't think he is the long term answer as either the starter or the "swing tackle." Gardner, to me, is probably better as a backup OG, and Mondek will probably end up on the PS again. My guess is, and this depends on the prognosis of Newton, they will draft another OT somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Maybe sooner if they don't think Newton is the long term answer at RT.
Granted the learning curve and his injury, Kubiak was pleased with Newton. They feel that he has enough raw ability to be a reliable starter. The only question is his durability. A major surgery after two seasons is not a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I fully expect Brooks to take over the RG position this year. I thought it started to click for him towards the end of last season. He still had some MA's, but he looked very good when he knew what he was doing.

I like Ben's potential, but imo, he was not ready last year. Maybe it'll be different this season, but I still think Brooks will win the spot. The platooning crap they had going probably didn't help either one of them. I would hope they get away from that BS.
Agreed with the bold, and his potential is exciting. When he was drafted, the only unknown was his level of commitment to get in shape and to learn. That's looking positive now.

I think Ben will eventually replace Wade Smith, and much later Chris Myers.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote