View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013   #71
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You realize that when Matt did that he threw the ball more times than anyone else did that year.

Also, that year We had two players combine for almost 1,000 yards of YAC...Slaton and Dre did a lot of running after the catch that year. There was only one other team that was in that same stratosphere and it was the Chargers with Gates and Sproles.

But Rivers threw the ball about 100 less times than Schaub and still was top ten in yardage.

Since 2008, between Slaton, Andre and Foster Schaub has had AT LEAST 1 top ten weapon in YAC. Some years he had 2. No other team has had that and the only team to come close is NE with Welker.

If you go back and look Schaub has had a lot of help with YAC. Arian was even #2 behind Lesean McCoy one year by not that great of a margin.

Schaub has put up some great stats, but he has been helped by 1) throwing a lot 2) completing high percentage passes and getting substantial YAC from his targets
Yep. I know that. I don't consider that a bad thing.

One of the cornerstones of the West Coast Offense is YAC. It's about completing high percentage passes.

It's actually a great point. Some people here want some sort of extremely vertical, down-the-field passing attack and when they don't get that, they're all grumpy because our offense is too conservative. I've got no problem with a conservative, West Coast approach to the passing game. I've got no problem with an offense that takes what the defense gives them. As long as they're winning. And right now, we're winning.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote