View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013   #65
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not to defend Schaub, just questioning this line of thinking.

Which Super Bowl winning QB does this not apply to? Definitely applies to your Trent Dilfers & Joe Flacco. We know it applies to your Kurt Warners & Eli Mannings. But doesn't this also apply to your Tom Bradys & Peyton Mannings, and Aaron Rogers?

I understand those QBs have "done it" & it doesn't make "sense" to include Schaub in that conversation. But save Flacco, none of those guys got it done this year. Were they not good enough? In 2012 Peyton & Rogers exited the play offs in the divisional round, same as Schaub. The Broncos didn't even win a Play off game as they got a bye.

Is Schaub as good as those guys? I'm not saying that. I'm not saying he's in the same league. I know he can be as productive. If we're talking wins, his win percentage has been just as good as theirs over the last two years. IMO, there's nothing you can quantify to say he won't win a Super Bowl. He can throw for a lot of yards, he can throw for a lot of first downs, he can throw for a bunch of TDs (I doubt he's ever led the league in passing TDs). He doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

If anything (& if this team keeps improving) Schaub's Super Bowl is off in the future, where those guys' are in the past.
I think most of it applies to almost all of them. Even the Brady and Manning "demi-gods" can't compensate for everything. Blow their roster up with injuries and they can't fix it all by themselves. I think their biggest advantage is simply will to win and grasp of the game. Hell we don't even know what would happen to Brady outside of New England. Maybe if he went to Cleveland he'd get beaten all to hell and become a very ordinary version of himself. Maybe if he'd started out there he'd never have become the legend he is today. My thinking on this is not so much that Schaub isn't special so we should kick him to the curb. It's more along the lines of almost none of them are special. As long as you take your "good enough" QB and put him in a system that takes advantage of what he can do and build a team around him to do it then you got a chance.

We don't have one of the demi-gods so we have to put him in a system that fits with his skills and limitations. We've got to get him good protection (we were there before we blew it all up last year), a great running game (check, except for last years line/FB issues), and a great defense (never had that until Wade got here). He's also going to need some WR's who make him look better than he is and we haven't hit on one of those guys since Andre Johnson was drafted in 2003.

Schaub fails the Texas repeatedly because the Texans have failed Schaub equally as often. I've concluded that if they're not going to do any more than they have to fix the offense then they better go get a demi-god. This square-peg, round-hole **** isn't working.