View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Grantland] Hey, Don't F*$% This Up: The Houston Texans' Outdated Offense

Well, we can all agree that Kubiak has shown to be a pretty conservative coach; personally I use the term "percentage football".

Last year, the number of third and longER screwed up the numbers quite a bit.

At Profootball Reference.com, they define two levels of third and long.
The first being 7-10 yards and the second being anything longer.

Somehow, the Texans managed to get to third and VERY long a whole darn lot.
That's when the Texans turned really "conservative".

Facing third down with 7-10 yards to go, the Texans were much more "aggressive" as compared to the average of the league.

They only ran the ball 5 times in 53 situations.
That's less than 10% as compared to some 15% for the rest of the league.

The question that I had raised before is that how did the Texans get to third and VERY long so much more often than the average of the league.

Schaub didn't take many sacks so we are left with negative plays due to penalties and the run game (and an occasional loss on a screen pass.)

The Texans weren't any more predictable than the Patriots in the first halves of their games, so what gives?

Execution is all I can think of.
Do you have any other explanation?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote