View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013   #56
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How did we get so far down this 4,000-yd rabbit trail? Those stats don't necessarily translate into championships. As an example, Peyton Manning has the most 4,000+ seasons of any QB in history, 12.
TWELVE!
Yet having a dozen 4,000-yd seasons has only netted him ONE RING. And goodness knows he had weapons around him.

On the other hand, both Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw have four rings apiece and yet NEITHER of them is a member of this 4,000-yd passing club (at least according to the site eriadoc pointed us to). You know what the DID have? Pretty damned good supporting casts around them and pretty damned good defenses for when they had off days.

I think we have a pretty damned good defense. However, we could add a couple more pieces to a pretty decent supporting cast.

I'm of the same mindset as TPN (or TexasMike or whoever); you gotta have a good TEAM to win it all. Having a 4,000-yd QB means squat if you don't.
Agreed. That Manning only has one ring is evidence that even with the best QB in the league you must surround him with the right talent to win it all. Put together the best post 1980 QB seasons. Manning, Marino, Elway, Favre, Montana, Brady, Brees and Young. There are over 100 seasons between them but only 16 super bowls. The best doesn't always win. Having a great QB gives you a great starting point but it isn't enough. That Manning and Marino have one ring between them should tell you that EVERY QB is the result of the parts around him. Look at Eli. He's not an elite QB. HE had weapons galore. His brother? The pressure was always on him. Peyton could roast you and is flat out the best QB I've ever seen but he always had to do too much. He had to get a lead early so his defense could attack the passer. I was a colts fan between the Oilers and Texans. I watched Manning every week. I reviewed his games like I used to review the Texans back when I posted reviews on the original TT. You can only ask greatness to be great so often. You can't ask a QB to thread the needle every throw. When Eli has won SBs he made some great throws but he didn't do it over and over. That goes for every QB.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think this team, as it stands, can win a SB with Schaub OR any other QB. Either the defense needs to be great, I mean add another premier LB AND a dominant DL or we need to add another dominant WR and one of the aforementioned players. We ask Schaub to thread too many throws. We flat out don't get open and our running game is not as dominant as it was two years ago. Any team that has an athletic LB to cover Daniels and a top cover safety will give us fits.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote