View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not exactly. I'm saying there are gradations to that achievement. Schaub's 4770 yard season was one of the highest totals of all time when it happened, and I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said "meh". The team went 6-10 and he racked up a bunch of yards when it didn't matter. IIRC, that was the year that they scored 7 or fewer points in the first half ten times. The defense was awful, but Schaub was lucky to throw a TD in the first half. So when they came out slinging in the second half, what are you going to say? That he was great? The other team was playing bend don't break and trying not to lose a 3TD lead. I don't rank that 4000 yard season on par with some of the really great 4000 yard seasons. Sorry, not impressed. The fact that he's put up 4000 yards three times is good, but that is to a great degree because of the offense and the era. I feel like Jake Plummer could come from a team where he never put up 4000 yards and hit that in Kubiak's offense. Wait, he did.

Anyway, I'm really not trying to bag on Schaub, but I feel like there are gradations in 4000 yard seasons, and Schaub's middle of the pack, IMO, and the number is fast becoming the standard.
Yeah, well sometimes stat haters need to check what your eyes are telling you.

1st half - 2658 yds, 19 TD's - passer rating 109.3
2nd half - 2112 yds, 10 TD's

3071 yds and 20 TD's when the margin was 7 or less.
1023 yds and 3 TD's when then margin was over 2 TD's much less your 3 TD assertion.

Sorry, your eyes were wrong.