View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013   #46
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When I say he's a good QB, I mean he's good enough to win a Super Bowl. When you say he's a good QB, you mean he can't win a Super Bowl. Right?
Meh, sort of. Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl. Brad Johnson was good enough to win a Super Bowl. Gus Frerotte was good enough to win a Super Bowl. Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler both won Super Bowls. They were all good QBs, at least in the season that they won those Super Bowls. But they couldn't have been one of the primary catalysts to that Super Bowl win on a year to year basis. I don't think Schaub is good enough that he can compensate for shortages elsewhere ont he team. It's a tough subject, because I don't think he's a bad QB, and it's a team game, but I don't have confidence that he's going to do something to win the game when it's on the line like I do/did with lots of other QBs - think Staubach, Montana, the current crop of top notch QBs, etc. So basically what it boils down to is do I think Schaub can pull off a Brad Johnson year? Well, sure. Do I think the team can feel 100% confident in its QB position and count on him to win games? Not at all.

Quote:
Your tried to counter the stat argument by implying that putting up 4000 yards in a season doesn't make you anything more than a Don Majkowski or a Bill Kenney.
Not exactly. I'm saying there are gradations to that achievement. Schaub's 4770 yard season was one of the highest totals of all time when it happened, and I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said "meh". The team went 6-10 and he racked up a bunch of yards when it didn't matter. IIRC, that was the year that they scored 7 or fewer points in the first half ten times. The defense was awful, but Schaub was lucky to throw a TD in the first half. So when they came out slinging in the second half, what are you going to say? That he was great? The other team was playing bend don't break and trying not to lose a 3TD lead. I don't rank that 4000 yard season on par with some of the really great 4000 yard seasons. Sorry, not impressed. The fact that he's put up 4000 yards three times is good, but that is to a great degree because of the offense and the era. I feel like Jake Plummer could come from a team where he never put up 4000 yards and hit that in Kubiak's offense. Wait, he did.

Anyway, I'm really not trying to bag on Schaub, but I feel like there are gradations in 4000 yard seasons, and Schaub's middle of the pack, IMO, and the number is fast becoming the standard.