View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
OK, let's go with less impressive every year, approaching not impressive. This is where the eyeball test comes into play. Example - Dan Marino is widely regarded as one of the best passers of all time, even though his team didn't have much success. He passed for 4000 yards six times, back when it really was impressive. Dan Fouts passed for 4000 yards back in the late '70s and early '80s three straight times. Joe Montana never passed for 4000 yards.

I just don't put stock in milestone numbers like that, so I'm not impressed by them as a standalone stat. When the yards are directly contributing to wins, then I take notice. Schaub threw for 4770 yards in '09, and a lot of them were garbage yards. Hey, he still threw them, so good on him. But there aren't many people in the world that regard that season as great. With 4000 yards fast becoming the new standard, it's even less impressive than I felt before. Factor in the fact that a team's system and unique circumstances may artificially inflate or deflate that number (see: Montana), and I just don't find much value in the 4000 yard mark by itself, which is how it always seems to be used in debates like this.
If Schaub fails your eyeball test, just say so. Nothing wrong with that. Just because 4000 yards is "fast becoming the standard" doesn't make it any less impressive today. "Becoming" being the operative word here.

He chokes.

He's not a leader of men.

He's not a winner.

I don't care how many yards he's thrown for, but 4000 yards is impressive. 4000 yards in every season he's played 16 games... that's impressive. Being on track to throw for 4000 in the years he didn't play 16 games, that's impressive.

20 years from now, probably not impressive at all. Today..... impressive.

He's got the ability to be an elite QB. But he's not elite. Won't ever be. Has nothing to do with his mobility, his arm, or his decision making. He's a choker.