View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Film Room - Texans Defensive Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/4/...k-like-in-2013

If there is one thing I've learned in my two seasons of studying the Wade Phillips defense, it's that players have a remarkable ability to play better football when they don't have to think. Philosophically, the Texans' scheme operates on the concept that if players are too busy thinking about what they need to be doing, then they can't get busy doing what they need to be doing. To mitigate that problem, Wade Phillips makes his players think as little as possible. Read your guy, cover him if he runs a route, blow him up if he tries to run block, and do whatever you need to do to stay in your gap. See ball, get ball.
I don't care for this article, I think he's off base. 1st he says the secret to our D is that the players don't have to think, then he says the players are taught, "If this, then do that. If that, then do this."

Sounds like thinking to me.

I think Wade's defense is built on being the aggressor. Instead of waiting to see what the offense does, our players already know what they are going to do... hence, they don't have to think.

Blitzer is going to blitz, guys in coverage are going to cover. Doesn't matter where the TE lines up, the WOLB will still blitz, if that's his assignment.

Players attack the gap they've identified prior to the snap, they don't have to wait to see how the OL is going to play it. They know their gaps, they attack them.

Whatever the offense is planning on doing, they better do it before the pass rushers get through. Run or pass, we're going to penetrate the OL. That's our MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Moving a 300 lb DT up and down the line to wreak havoc is pretty cool. Blitzing like crazy is something Im not a fan of, especially this last year when we were soft up the middle and missing a true outside rush presence for the first time in a long time. Wade is a Texan in every sense and we're good at improvising.
Sometimes, you just got to pick your poison. I don't mind being "soft up the middle" & still being the 7th best run defense in the NFL.

A lot of that has to do with the offense scoring early & often, but that's the team's concept. The offense has to pressure the other team to score. That's what took the run game away from most teams in 2012. The only running game that really gave us any problem (that I can remember) was New England during the regular season. They were able to jump on us early, scoring off turnovers. Then they turned on their run game & kept us on our heals.