View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013   #60
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's discuss Texans ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
People may think I'm crazy, but I think it's best to trade away players that are not the number one guy on either of your offensive or defensive unit, unless he has no red flag or just too good to let go.

The talents that come out of college are plenty.
Guys are bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, can jump higher, etc.
Use the acquired pick(s) to either stock up talent or combine them to trade up for a better choice.
Use the extra money for a short-term one-to-two year vet FA.

Rinse and repeat.
(Since the more talents coming out of college, the more FAs will be available in the off-season.)

Spend a lot of resources on scouting and player development.
Some of the college players have great athleticism but lack reps due to one reason or another.
A big guy may have a poor eating habit; or he could have "skinny legs" (poor base) without a proper conditioning program to enhance that base.
(Jonathan Jenkins, for example, is top-heavy, and can get pushed around or cut down more often than he should be.)
Most of the college coaches get pressure from the school alumni to perform NOW (not unlike companies in the stock market), they think more about "what work now" and often don't have time to develop a certain weakness area of players.

Obviously, I'm only skimming the surface of the topic.
There is some good logic here, but the actual problem is that the NFL is not a trading league. There is not a consistent flow of willing buyers for a team's pretty good players.

Edit: Here are the off-season trades do far

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/trades