View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He underthrows a lot of balls. He has said that he does it on purpose to make it easier for the receivers to catch & that may be true for all I know.

But to someone who is just watching the game, it doesn't make any sense to have a WR behind the defense, then purposely underthrow a ball allowing the defense to catch up.

Just watching, & not having read a Schaub quote stating he underthrows on purpose, my first guess would be that he couldn't throw it any deeper.

Having said that, there have been a few that looked as deep & straight as any ball thrown in the NFL.... they're just too far & between to make you think he can do it consistently.
I don't have too much of an issue with his deep ball, tbh.

My issue with his arm strength is in the red zone. The windows get smaller and tighter and you have to zip the balls in there. Schaub makes great reads and identifies the right guy to get it to but he can't put enough mustard on the ball to squeeze it in between defenders in those tight spaces. TJ Yates has thrown better balls in the red zone than anything I've seen from Schaub.

This is part of the reason we had such an abysmal red zone percentage prior to having a RB who could punch it in. That's just not where Schaub really shines.

You know, I've said all this and then I went and actually looked at last year's stats. His QB rating was highest in the Red Zone at 96. He had 15 TDs and 1 INT. I don't recall him ever being that good there. I went back through his history and... he's mostly been OK stat-wise in the Red Zone. He just had a down year in 2011 with a <80 rating but since he's been a Texan, he's mostly been good in the red zone with a >100 rating.

That's so totally not how I perceived it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote