View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013   #2085
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Not to mention the cost of keeping Quin would have been $1 million more than what we're giving Ed per-year...

I feel personally responsible for this as I had stated that Reed would cost $1M less than Quin would for 2013. That was upon seeing the initial numbers of both contracts & not the structure. I didn't even know what the signing bonuses were at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who understands basic math.
In this situation, the actual money paid to the player is of little concern to us, especially if you are not among those who frequently pay for game day tickets, and the overpriced foods & beverages they serve on game day.

As far as an organization goes & the future of this team, the only thing that really matters is the cap number. The Detroit Lions signed Quin for a smaller cap number in 2013, 2014, & 2015, than Reed's cap numbers for those same years.

My friend '76 is a dyed in the wool homer. He will find anything to twist & put a situation in the Texans' favor. But the fact remains in this situation we are paying a premium for Ed Reed (over Glover Quin) the question should be is he worth it?

Things working in Quin's favor.
  • It appears Wade liked to put a safety in the box
  • Quin got his hands on more balls than just about any safety in the league, passes defensed, interceptions, FF, Fumbles recoverd
  • Quin is younger

Things working in Reed's favor
  • Better ball skills
  • Not intimidated by top QBs
  • Intimidates top QBs

I think Reed is worth the premium, & I'd rather argue that, than argue Reed is cheaper (which isn't true, not where it counts to us).