View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013   #50
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I've kind of stayed away from this topic, but I agree with Cak in this situation. I think initially there would be some awkwardness, but at the end of the day I think a locker room of brothers would find a way to make it work. Yeah, you're going to have a few knuckleheads but you're going to have that anyway. The true leaders of the team would make sure that the other guys are accepting of this situation. This person is going to be the Jackie Robinson of gay athletes so the spotlight is going to be bright on everyone. No one will risk looking like the idiot of the group by doing something stupid.

There's money to be made from whatever player that is gay becoming the first one to come out so I think it'll happen within the next year or 2. While football isn't the most accepting environment, I believe that at the end of the day the common goal amongst peers would prevail in this situation. Just my 2 pennies.
I congratulated you on becoming a U.S. citizen, now I'll do the same for landing an employment opportunity with Cameron International. It's tough to go wrong these days and in this economy with an Oil Field Services Company.
OK, don't know your religion affiliation (if any), but you should know that many young men in "that locker room of brothers" you refer to are very likely to be Southern Baptists if they have a religous affiliation, and that denomination of Christianity does not take kindly to homosexuality and the idea of gay marriage. And that's putting it mildly. Furthermore, I suspect that many of those brothers might take exception to the very term "Jackie Robinson of gay athletes".
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote