View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013   #169
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
What's the next level? Getting past the divisional round of the playoffs to an AFC Championship game? Right now, wouldn't that be (over the top) ?
I would think it varies on who you ask but I honstly believe it isn't about where it takes us (like a playoff round) but how the team carries itself. Some players admitted to basically being in awe (for lack of a better term) when they faced the Patriots. That alone spoke about the mental aspect that the Texans were lacking. Heck, I think they use to have that about the Ravens too until they proved to themselves they could play with them.

Reed can bring that factor of leadership. I honestly don't think his physical skills are what they use to be and the defense will have to adjust a bit with the coverage to adapt to what he brings. But more than anything he brings a locker room presence that was lacking especially with Cush hurt. But even with Cush's leadership there is a whole other level of leadership when you're talking about someone who has been there, done that like Reed.

So it is more than just what round they reach. They stunk the place against the Patriots not once, but twice. The defense despite having film after playing them couldn't even line up correctly and seemed unprepared. Leaders on the field help in this area.

Can he put them over the top? Course not. Just one player. P. Manning is argued to be among the best to play his position and did he put the Broncos over the top? Nope. But can Reed put them over the top on a mental aspect so they don't go out stinking it up against elite teams and not rolling into fetal positions when things go off-schedule? Possibly so.