View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013   #23
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rotoworld 2013 Mock Drafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IIRC, Kubiak is a stickler on precise route running. Patterson's known for not running precise routes and relying on pure talent alone. Could he learn? You bet, but Kubiak hasn't really been known to throw a rookie skill player into the fire on day 1. Are we willing to use a 1st round pick on a player that might not see many snaps at all at the WR position in his 1st year? I dunno, man.
That's not all he's a "stickler" on. Blocking is another skill he wants in a WR. That's how Walter stuck around so long and I think it's one of the reasons Martin and Posey didn't see the field as much earlier in the season. Is Patterson known for being a good blocker?

I guess I'm looking at this WR selection thing differently than most on this MB. Most here seem to want a potential #1 to develop and replace Johnson in the next few years. I don't see that WR anywhere in this draft. Patterson may be close on the physical end and with his "potential." But, there are 2 reasons I don't think it will happen; one is, he'll be long gone by the time we pick at #27, and two is, with the loss of Walter and possibly Posey (for the year), they need a #2 WR that will start day 1. Are Patterson or Hunter, with all their "upside", potential, and question marks that guy? My guess is no. I think the Texans will be looking at either Allen or Hopkins at #27 if either are still there. Neither has the "upside" that Patterson or Hunter do, but both are way more NFL ready (route running, blocking, hands, etc..) and should be solid #2 WR's for years to come.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote