View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
This is a tough one. There are a lot of homophobic people out there, and I'm pretty sure that football has more than it's fair share of fans that fall into this category.

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone's sexual orientation is. It's not my business and who am I to tell them that they're wrong? I have noticed that TV shows have incorporated more gay characters into their shows, so people are not as shocked as they used to be. Having said that, there are people out there who won't watch those shows because of that very reason and this anonymous player's concerns about fans boycotting him or his team are very valid.

I think it really boils down to whether or not the player needs to feel validated for being openly gay. There will be backlash to some degree, the severity will just depend on the market that the player plays in. We all know that some places are more acceptable than others.
The severity will also depend on who the player is. I think there would be a much different reaction if Calvin Johnson or Tom Brady came out as gay as opposed to the Vikings backup left guard or the Browns long snapper.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote