View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans hire Asst Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
When it was evident to everyone on the planet that Richard Smith and then Frank Bush weren't getting the job done, Kubiak didn't fire them. He waited. According to reports, he was told he had to fire Frank Bush or be fired. Loyalty can be a good trait, but not when it blinds you to a person's shortcomings.
Just to add to this: I think the wording Bob McNair used, in regards to the infamous 2010 meltdown and subsequent 2011 hiring of Wade Phillips, is that Bob said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Gary had a choice to make, whether he sticks with his assistants or makes a change. He knows that the loyalty he has for his coaches can sometimes make him go down with the ship in the end. That was something that unfortunately happened with Dom Capers here. Dom was loyal to his guys, too, a great man. But he couldn't part ways with certain coaches and make certain moves, and he ended up going down with the ship."

The conclusion I drew from that interview was this: Gary wasn't told to fire Frank Bush. But Gary WAS told that IF the team continued to slide on defense in 2011, with Frank Bush at the controls, that it would probably be the end of Gary's tenure here as HC.

I do believe that Rick Smith and Bob McNair wanted a change at d-coord. I think Bum Phillips reaching out to Bob was instrumental. I would not put it past Rick Smith to have actually orchestrated the infamous "Bum and Bob and Pastorini lunch" they had where Bum pitched to Bob the idea of Wade as our DC. Look, things were so bad at that time that I can fully envision a bit of collusion among all of them. Get it out in the media, show that a legend like Bum (and Pastorini) were having a lunch about the state of the Texans, and even Gary Kubiak begins to "get it." He knows the game is up. He can read the tea leaves from the media coverage of that lunch.

Bum and Wade figured they knew how to help Houston get back to fighting form very quickly. So they reached out to Bob, or they reached out to Bum and Wade. Every effort was made to make sure everyone in the media AND in the Texans organization knew that Bum was not politicking for his son take over as HC. It was repeated a lot, with Bum saying "Bob, hear us out. Keep Gary as the head coach. But Wade is the man for the defense. We know he is."

Wade was hush-hush, you never heard from him much (if any at all) and I think Bob and Rick met with Gary and basically made Gary an offer he couldn't refuse. Either Wade's name was going to be on that d-coordinator's job listing or Gary could face the stark reality that a dismal 2011 with Frank Bush at DC would mean the end of all of them.

It was the most obvious thing in the world. You knew that Gary was having his hand forced on the issue of d-coord, and I think Bob and Rick did it very skillfully to really make it obvious without being rude about it. Pretty genius, actually. Gary wasn't told he HAD to fire Bush, but yet he had to.

And you know what? The guy is being a dumbass about his special teams unit. It must be frustrating for guys like Rick and Bob to sit there and watch how they intervened in Gary's coaching decisions and saved Gary from the fire...and yet Gary cannot cut bait on his ST coach even after all the writing on the wall indicates that it will not get any better on ST.

This is why I am so amazed at how many people think this team would suffer if Gary Kubiak wasn't head coach. Looking at these situations, happening over and over by the way, you get the sense that Gary is the most stubborn man alive. Loyalty is good. Loyalty without limits is bad. And he refuses to learn from history. It's fascinating. The depth of stubbornness that he goes to.