View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013   #22
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans signing Lechner pretty much nullifies both of our punters but we were right in feeling need to replace Jones.

Hard time grading out WR class, quality to choose from so feel better value with 2nd rd selection. I do like Aaron Dobson a lot or maybe Terrance Williams is still on the board not to mention Patton.

Pass rusher is needed. Really all are projections, still making mine. Applaud you for trying, just don't know enough about him. What I do know is the Texans prefer taller frame to build out 6-4 to 6-7'.

Is Wolfe a good protege for Ed Reed? Discuss
Yup. Punter is now off the board. I have to admit feeling vindicated. You and I were part of the few who kept advocating for getting rid of Jones for a better punter. Lechler is a great punter and should be able to improve the position.

The WRs are really tough to grade out. On one hand I like Justin Hunter. He has size, speed, route running etc. The one drawback(now that he seems to be healing and his speed is returning) is that he sometimes doesn't focus completely and can drop some easy passes. On the other hand, a guy like DeAndre Hopkins has hands, route running, blocking ability, and has a real low drop rate. Justin Hunter is more risk, but potentially more reward. He has a higher potential for bust factor. DeAndre Hopkins has a lower ceiling, but a higher floor. At worst he should be a very nice #2. At worst, Hunter could be a Jacoby Jones: flashes great ability but drops too many passes to be a starter. Its a tough conundrum. Part of me wants to go hunter, but I could see a case being made for the safe route like Hopkins.

Reed is 6'3, Mercilus is 6'4, Bramen is 6'5. Yes, they seem to like the 6'3 and up guys. If they have their heart set on a bigger OLB, they could go with my guy Quanterus Smith. He may need an IR year, but could be a steal in the later rounds. Could be smart since the team has so many draft picks and it will be hard to keep every draft pick on the team. Stashing him on IR may make sense.

I think Wolfe would be a great protege for Ed Reed. Reed was 5'11 201lbs with a 4.57 40 time. Wolfe is 6'0 207 with a 4.44 40 time. Like Reed, Wolfe seems to be around the ball. He had 7 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, and 2 ints. that comes out to 10 passes that he prevented from being completed, or approximately one key play per game. Part of playing as a safety is having good instincts, that cannot be taught and Wolfe has that. One thing he could improve is deep CF coverage. He has the speed, he has the hands, what he lacks his technique. Having a coach like Vance Joseph off the field and a coach like Ed Reed on the field will provide the necessary training Wolfe will need to transition into the Ed Reed spot in a couple of years. For now, he has the chance to compete for the #3 safety spot with Eddie Pleasant(hopefully Keo is kept as far away from it as possible).

Another interesting prospect is Cooper Taylor from Richmond. He is a safety listed at 6'5 and 235 lbs with a 4.69 40 time. He is good at covering WRs down the field and is a tackler. He had 77 tackles with five tackles for a loss, 9 passes broken up, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. He almost screams LB to me. If he can add some weight possibly a 3-4 OLB or a ILB next to Cush.

While I like Wolfe, I just thought of a way to get more value out of Taylor.

----------Watt---Cody---Smith

-----Reed------Cushing----Mercilus
-----------Taylor

------------------Manning

Jackson-------------------------Joseph

------------------Reed

In this Defense, you would use Taylor almost like an extra roaming ILB who would slot in behind Reed/Cush or Cush/Merci. His speed would allow him to attack the QB as another pass rusher, be a run defender, or take on the TEs/slot receivers. He could also always line up on Strongside to the side and back of Cush. He has the speed to keep up with TEs and the size to cause them problems. Having put on a few pounds would make him even tougher without sacrificing the speed. Considering the way the NFL is going with its pass happy offenses and now zone reads, it almost makes sense to play a Safety as a secondary roaming ILB than a pure ILB next to Cush.

So, I guess what I am saying is I would draft both Wolfe and Taylor. Taylor would slide into
"ILB/roaming safety" while Wolfe would be groomed to become Ed Reed's replacement.

Thoughts?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote