View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013   #2030
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Reed missed 15 tackles in the regular season, tying him for 7th worst out of 87 safeties. Quin missed 7 in about the same # of snaps.

Other regular season: Michael Griffin 22, Thomas DeCoud 21, Malcolm Jenkins 20, Earl Thomas(!) 17.

Postseason: Reed missed 6 tackles, worst overall. But he also had the most opportunities by 2 or 3 times, and Pollard was right there with him @5.

Earlier in this thread, I reported his missed tackles stats last year. This has not been characteristic for Reed. It brings up the recollection of one of my posts in the thread last year "Ravens Injuries," prior to the Ravens - Texans game.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
ed reed might also be on the injury report with potentially a torn shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshep86 View Post
Myself and a few goal keepers I know had this same injury and surgery to fix it. This is what I know about a torn labrum:

Its inevitably going to subluxate at different points while playing and doing routine things in everyday life, you usually loose feeling in the arm for a little bit, but it's an injury you can play through. The more it subluxates, the longer it will take you to recover, but the recovering from SLAP surgery is general 1 months of rest, 1 month of light lifting, and 4 months of strengthening. If he was a pitcher, it would be a different story, but overall it's something Ed Reed can play through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You're right, he can play through it. BUT, if it is a significant torn labrum, he might be able to play through the pain and pursue and tackle, but he will have a significant limitation of range of motion of his shoulder, particularly raising his arm above his head. If our QB favors high throws this game, Reed may end up looking like a rookie.........an unprepared rookie. And don't expect him to go out of his way for "unnecessary" contact.
This type of injury does not "heal." If not major, in some cases, it may at least for some indeterminate period of time, be compensated for by concentrated muscle strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder, much like a rotator cuff. It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

This injury can have varying degrees of pain with full range of motion of the shoulder, and be accompanied by significant range of motion limitations, consistent with a safety "missing" tackles. The player will tend to avoid direct shoulder contact, will demonstrate less strength in wrapping, and certainly avoid one-handed tackles that could bend the involved shoulder/arm backwards.

I would look for these patterns to be lessened with offseason "rest" and concentrated rehab strengthening, as long as the injury has not already progressed too far.......and he does not sustain further injury to the shoulder.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote