View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013   #2019
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Smith got to be the GM by knowing Kubiak.

Granted, he & the scouting dept has been doing an above average job in the draft & Identifying lesser known free agents. He's done an excellent job of getting stop gaps in the middle of the season.

But, imo, he's done a poor job of attracting top tier talent to the Texans. Yes, he gets a point for bringing in Jjo, another for Manning. But he started out trying to get Aso..... worked out for us that he couldn't land Aso. He couldn't land Boden. & there was a time there that I thought he missed on Reed. I'll give him a point for that one.

But... his overall record is week for attracting top tier talent & orchestrating trades. Things that go into making a great GM, in addition to drafting players. He's also on the fence for managing the cap.

No doubt in my mind that had Aj not let the Texans know that Reed was interested, we wouldn't have looked in his direction. Maybe a dumb statement. But I think his track record supports it.

Not only that, but replacing Quin was not a "need" most of us thought resigning Quin was top priority... or at least one of the top priorities. Replacing Demps & Keo was a "need"
The money behind the GM has a lot to do with it as well IMO. The texas for the most part have not been known to overpay.