View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Here's a link to a NFL Network discussion on Manuel. Casserly takes the side of Doppelganger & TexansSeminole, that Manuel is not a 1st round QB. Former Bronco GM Ted Sundquist makes Vinny's case that Manuel is a 1st round QB, and has what a team is looking for in a QB in today's NFL.

I can see both sides. I watched every pass and run from Manuel in the 2011 bowl games versus Notre Dame (a good college defense). The cons were that Manuel didn't really feel the rush and made some poor decisions with the ball (that didn't cost him, fortunately). The pros were that he showed he could make every throw and NFL QB needs to make, and kept his poise and led the team to a comeback win.

Right now, I don't think Manuel is as good as Matt Barkley. By 2015, Manuel could very well be better than Barkley. As Sundquist pointed out, Manuel didn't have the weapons around him that QBs like Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and Barkley had. In that Notre Dame bowl game, he had several freshman o-lineman blocking for him. Put Manuel in that West Virginia or USC offense, and maybe he's the one getting top 10 consideration.

BTW, Texan GM Rick Smith tutored under Sundquist in Denver, so it wouldn't be surprising if he (and Kubiak) evaluated Manuel in a similar fashion. And even if the Texans are not considering him with their pick at #27, it would be wise to bring Manuel in for an interview. There aren't an teams behind the Texans in the 1st round that are likely to go QB with their pick. And if the Texans want to generate interest for teams like the Eagles, Cards, or Jets to trade up, showing interest in E.J. would be the smart move.
E.J. can certainly make all the throws, he has a tremendous arm.

I'd disagree with you about weapons though. Maybe not disagree, because the teams you listed did have some elite talent, but I would argue that E.J. also had some great talent to work with. Rodney Smith has been touted as a late round prospect around here and I can't tell you how many times that guy was running down field, wide open, only to be ignored. Rashad Greene is a heck of a receiver and depending on what happens with this stupid assault he just committed (edit: never mind, he did not commit assault, wrong guy), has the talent to be a top 5 receiver in a draft. Christian Greene is another good receiver that you will see more of this year. Kelvin Benjamin is another huge weapon. Kenny Shaw is a good receiver. Prior to that, he also had Burt Reed and others. At TE, he has one of the top TEs coming out of high school in O'Leary. Backs galore, 3 or 4 that have NFL quality talent.

Your definitely right about the OLine. Even in 2012, the OLine was inexperienced. Menelik Watson is getting alot of hype but people may not know that he only played for the Noles in 2012. He was a JUCO transfer with little overall football experience. He played RT for us but honestly, he barely won the job in the spring. Our LT is a converted DT with excellent potential but again inexperienced. 2012 was his first year to play the position or us.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 03-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote