View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013   #148
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.
I just want to point out the difference between a restructured contract and an extension. A restructure is taking an existing contract, and manuevering the $$$ around to alter the cap hit in that year. That's what they did with Smith in 2011 when the Texans created cap space to sign Joseph and Manning. An extension is replacing an existing contract with a longer term deal, while still being liable for whatever bonus allocation remains on the existing contract.

Smith is in the final year of his contract. So the only restructuring that could take place would be if he were to accept a salary reduction for his current $6 million. Fat chance. An extension would allow the Texans to reduce Smith's $6 million salary, and replace it with a larger signing bonus that could be amortized over the length of the new contract.

What would it take for Smith to sign an extension in 2013? He's currently looking at $6 million in salary. A bonus of $7.5 million in a 3 year deal, would give Antonio a $2.44 million raise ($7.5 million bonus + $940k vet minimum - ($6 million salary)). It would reduce the 2013 cap hit on Smith by a little more than $2.5 million. Which might be enough space for the Texans to fill a couple holes with low end vet contracts.

Extending Smith would be a tough call, because it would make him a tough cut in 2014. The question is, what are the Texans willing to do to win in 2013? Really, I don't see a lot of alternatives.