View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013   #122
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i dont really agree with that. we need a #2 wide receiver, and that's pretty much our only starting need. nose tackle, outside linebacker, and inside linebacker all have "just a guy" types on the roster who can start opening day provided we're able to draft/sign depth. sure it'd be nice to hammer 4 positions with starters (and we very well might) through the draft, but i dont think it's that dire with studs all around them to pick up the slack.
While I do agree with others that it's prudent to have most if not all starters in place before the draft, I also don't think it had to be that way.

With certain positions like the #2 receiver, another deep draft means that some of those guys will be a starter comes next season. As a result, some UFAs will be forced to sit home watching the tube. A guy like Walter could be just a phone call away for vet minimum.

Same thing at RT; it's not a sure thing that Winston or some other guys will find a home. Then there's always Ryan Harris.

Caldwell or somebody else; Cody or somebody else; somehow, I think there will still be a guy or two that you can sign at vet minimum.

It might be best to wait for the rest of the teams who have abundance of cap space to overpay before we swoop in for the best of the rest.

The Colts for example, had spent a bunch of money that many believe is "excess" over value.

Teams like the Skins and the Cowboys also benefit us in the FA game by losing a ton of their cap space (and therefore were forced to be extra prudent with their acquisitions.)

The FA game is still at half-time; there's plenty to go yet.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote