View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013   #1982
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
We had less than $11M.
With the signing of McCain, Gardner, Reed, and Lechler plus the rookie (Not all of the guys on the reserve/future list will make it, releasing a little cap space there) my estimation is that the Texans is right up to the limit; maybe with a Mil to spare.

Any more signing will require restructuring a player or a cut.

Looks like Reed got a $4M signing bonus plus $1M base salary in 2013 (and an incentive for playing time of anothe $1M).

The signing bonus is pro-rated for 3 years, such that 1/3 is counted against the cap this year ($1.333+1+1= $3.333M).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Ah, well. I'd hoped that extra 2.7 would be able to be used on someone.
Upon further study of the salary cap rules, the Texans are still able to sign at least one more "quality" player even though at first look, the team is up to the cap space.

The reason being not all of the year-one cap charge to rookies apply until later, with the Texans already having more than 51 players under contract with salaries that are at least equitable in cap accounting.

My estimate is that the Texans can still sign another player with the same cap charge as Ed Reed without going over the cap.

Some players will have to be cut down the road at the time when the rules require the Texans to do so to stay under the cap (I'm not sure of the time - I need to study further about the effect of the June 1 designation among other things.)

In summary, if the Texans choose to go "win-now" mode, we may still see another signing or two. And they can sign a few players to the vet minimum as well. Free Agency doesn't have to end for the Texans yet.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote