View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013   #21
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100585 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "It's always been a fumble"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think you missed my point.

I was not comparing the two owners. Al was clearly a football man and his many years of success shows it. But don't get too carried away with Al Davis. John Madden was behind the Raiders success in the '70's, and even when Tom Flores became HC after Madden retired he inherited a team that Madden built. (btw, Al was the HC at one point - 1963-65 - but never went to the playoffs.)
Not exactly right. Most of the drafting back then was done by Al Davis AND Ron Wolfe (the guy who built the Packers team). Davis had a network of coaches, so he would find players like Art Shell at Maryland State College, and he wasn't afraid to get players from Grambling. You have to remember, Davis didn't judge people by the color of their skin like a lot of people did back in the 60's and 70's.

Davis took a 1-13 Raiders team and turned it into a 10-4 team the following year, it was the biggest turnaround in NFL history for a long time, but I believe has since been outdone with the 16 game schedule. After Davis went from the field to the front office, Rauch became the head coach and went 8-5-1, 13-1 and 12-2, before John Madden became head coach. So no, it wasn't Madden who built the team, it was Al Davis.