View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "It's always been a fumble"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
At the time of the Immaculate Reception, Al Davis was a tremendous asset to his team, and big part of why (as the show you talked about mentioned), the Raiders went on to have the best record in the NFL over the 10 years following that game. Davis came from a coaching and scouting background, and brought a genuine innovation to the game. He was the Raiders Head Coach and GM before he ever became their owner. Bud's just a guy who had a lot of money, and was a turd his entire life(Way before he had the excuse of being old to justify it).

Al definitely became an embarrassment in later years, but to paint the Al Davis of the 70's and 80's with the same brush as Bud Adams is way off in my opinion.
I think you missed my point.

I was not comparing the two owners. Al was clearly a football man and his many years of success shows it. But don't get too carried away with Al Davis. John Madden was behind the Raiders success in the '70's, and even when Tom Flores became HC after Madden retired he inherited a team that Madden built. (btw, Al was the HC at one point - 1963-65 - but never went to the playoffs.)

My point was that both franchises have always been sort of black sheep of the NFL ever since the merger. Both owners did things to piss off the old guard of the NFL, well before the merger, and I think that's been reflected over the years in the NFL's attitude toward each owner, franchise, and even cities to some extent.

I respect Al Davis. I do not respect Bud Adams. Watch the episode of "A Football Life" about Al Davis. It's fantastic, so it's kind of funny that you assume I'm painting both with the same brush, because that's not something I would ever intentionally do.