View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013   #140
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I have to say I both understand the criticism and like the result better. Carr had a cannon for an arm but it was so frustrating watching him overthrow Bradford and AJ by 5 yards. Yeah, I would rather have the 30 yard completion than the ball bouncing on the field in front of them.

I also think people really under appreciate how difficult it is to chuck a ball into a theoretical pickle barrel which is moving under its own plan while jacking with at least one defender 40 yards down the field while one or more people who intend to hurt you are about to pound you into sand.

No doubt about it, Schaub is not a Staubach or Elway. Those cats are rare.

I'd "force" it to AJ too. He is the most reliable receiver. Throwing to a triple covered AJ is sometimes the safer throw than throwing to Martin who is very likely to go "oh crap a football."
Obviously, anybody who wants to compare Schaub with those guys (including Brady and Rodgers) can do so if he pleases, but why bother?

We already know that Schaub doesn't stack up to them at the moment.

But to say criticize Schaub because of it makes little sense.
This team isn't built (financially) to rely on Schaub as heavily as those other teams relying on the elite QBs.

The extra money goes to AJ to help out Matt Schaub, Foster to help avoiding third and long, and the defense to stop the opponents to give Schaub better chance (short field/turnover, etc.)

We even spent resources on getting ST players for the same reason.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote